Monday, January 17, 2011

Sick in Hawai'i


We've had a rough couple of weeks. We've both had a nasty sinus infection which we are getting over. Then the ship went through a GI breakout which affected both of us. I've never caught it before and it is worse than any food poisoning or flu I've ever had before. I wouldn't wish it on anyone - not even Sarah Palin. So awful. I did lose those 2lbs. that were plaguing me. So that's good.....

So we haven't done too much over the last couple of weeks except for laying in bed and wishing to either be unconscious or as completely numb. We did all of our shows - well I missed half an improv show when I had to run out to throw up repeatedly. That was dramatic.

We did get a tour of the belly of the ship from the Chief Engineer. He showed us everything from the electric transfomers to the engines to the water treatment facility. It was all very impressive. I thought I would take photos but honestly it just looks like a bunch of machines - boxy and kind of the same. We did get to see inside of the shaft drives for the azipods so there's that.

We had very dramatic weather last week. The seas were so high that we couldn't tender in Kona. We left and instead cruised around Maui looking for whales. I had a great deal of fun and frustration listening to passengers complain about the whales.
Here are some direct quotes from some of the idiots
Why aren't they jumping up so we can see them?
They should feed them so they come right over the boat
There aren't any whales out there - they're lying. (a whale breached every time she looked away)
I don't know they're just not as impressive as Shamoooo.

I wanted to tell them all the reason they were dumb but I work there so I couldn't. Boo. So I made fun of them in the improv show - Vindication!

Yesterday (Sunday) we were feeling better so we went to Lahaina with John and Andy.

We took the bus.

Lahaina is like the Bar Harbor of Maui so we felt right at home.

We're hoping to go snorkeling on Kauai later this week. Keep your fingers crossed and washed please!

Jen


No comments: