Sunday, February 11, 2007

Everybody in the Water!

We just returned from another nine day cruise - on this trip we tried to get into the water as much as possible. We snorkeled in Dominica, went swimming in Barbados and went snorkeling at Virgin Gorda near Tortola.

Dominica was as lovely as usual . We had a very leisurely walk to the pier we like to swim off of and then it was time to get in the water. I climbed down a ladder into the water and then realized a boat was coming in to dock so I climbed out. The boat guy proceeded to tie up his boat covering the whole ladder.... this is his prerogative but it meant I couldn't climb into the water...I was going to have to jump in. Now I don't like jumping into the water from any height, this is something I'm working on but I have yet to overcome this particular fear. So I stood on the pier with Larrance as he tried to bolster my courage to jump in. Being so scared here was particularly dumb considering that I'd been in this area before so I know how deep the water is but I couldn't help it. I mean I swam with sharks but jumping off this little pier was just too much for me to handle. I was just about to jump in when the boat guy came back and took off!!! So I climbed in and snorkeled around a bit - at one point I thought I'd spotted a squid and I got everybody all excited only to realize that it was only a Trumpet fish - ho hum. No, not really. It was quite lovely and it was feeding so that was fun to watch. After the swim, I was about to get out when an English lady came down the ladder and announced to me that she was scared of jumping into the water so she had to climb. I felt a kindred spirit had approached me. Then she announced that she was scared of getting down the ladder and would I mind staying there to help her. So I did. I talked her into the water and off the ladder. She was quite grateful and I told her I felt her pain then I asked her to moved away from the ladder so I could get out of the water. She had a lovely time in the water while I went and had a Ginger Shandy. Next time I'll jump, I swear....

In Barbados, we went to The Boatyard. This is a beach with amenities which are not to be confused with anemones. Anemones sting but the amenities are a restaurant, an inflatable climbable iceberg, a water trampoline and a high tide only rope swing. I couldn't pull myself up the iceberg -there were no footholds - so I climbed up onto the trampoline. This was quite fun and after I climbed up I proceeded to perch on the side and jump off. The water in Barbados is unbelievably clear. It's sky blue and you can see all the way down to the white sand bottom. There weren't many fish there but the water was lovely. I wanted to go on the rope swing to conquer my fear of jumping into the water but it wasn't open because it was low tide. Boo, Ocean! So I comforted myself with a PiƱa Colada and some french fries. They didn't heal the wound but they helped. Then it started to rain so we left...farewell Boatyard!
Memo to the Ocean - Be at high tide next time!!!!

We took it easy in St. Lucia. I got my hair cut in the salon and then Larrance and I went to the spa. We relaxed in the Hydrotherapy pool, laid on the hot stone beds, drank cranberry juice and then went our separate ways into the men's and women's areas. In the women's area I did a sauna, and a half plunge pool and then the person whirlpool. During this time a naked woman approached me, loosely clad in a towel she informed me that she really liked the show. I feel this was the most sincere of the compliments I've received since she felt so ardently about it to give it even while almost naked. The spa much have done the trick - we were so relaxed for the rest of the day that we did almost nothing.

Antigua was as always great. We stopped at a jewelers called The Goldsmitty. The owner/goldsmith was there and we chatted him up about all of his jewelry. He let me hold a $38,000 24kt Imperial Topaz with Pearl strand necklace. He also insisted that we take a look at his Alexandrite in the natural light - Michael walked to the front door to watch it change from red to green. The stone changes color in the light and it's very rare. We also talked about a bunch of his other jewelry and he let me hold a $6,000 Black Pearl, Diamond and gold ring - that was my favorite piece in his store. The guy was a great and his jewelry was stunning. Larrance impressed him with his knowledge of stones....we attended a precious stone lecture about 3 weeks ago and it stuck in his brain. Then we said good-bye and he said we should come back to visit. I think we might. Then we had pizza and Ting soda at Top Banana. Then wandered around a bit and then back to the ship but not before having another woman demand - demand- that I braid my hair. When will they stop? Answer: Never.


Larrance, Edward & Ben on the way over to Virgin Gorda

In Tortola we took a small boat to the island of Virgin Gorda. Virgin Gorda is a small island with a National Park. The National Park is an area where several boulders landed after a volcano exploded. There are several beaches with deep water and dramatic underwater landscapes. My favorite part were the caves. The caves are formed of the giant boulders stacked up on each other. Under the boulders there are shallow pools of water and more white sand. You climb around in the caves to access different beaches. At the end they reward you with rum punch.


A view of Devil's Bay


In the Virgin Gorda Caves


The intrepid snorkel/hiker/cave climbers!


Cool rock formation at Virgin Gorda


The lovely garden around the gift shop and restaurant above the Baths


Rum Punch Reward!


Michael & Me in the Caves!

This trip ended on a bit of a sad note as we had to say good-bye to our friend Edward. Edward is goig home for a short vacation before he joins the Jewel in Europe in June We only met Edward a couple of months ago but we quickly became very fond of him. We'll miss you Edward but we'll look for your Aussie Thunder on the horizon.


Edward!


Edward with Yours Truly!

~J

3 comments:

Unknown said...

pat shay is unreachable. also, your blogging makes me smile a lot. and also, i hope you are watching lost on wednesdays.

Uncle Ed said...

I'll miss you guys also...I think the best way for me to deal with this absence, is to bury myself in something, am still working that one out but I think it will have to be fitness first!

I’ll be checking in from time to time so you better have some good stories for me to read, or else!

Edward

amaraken said...

This latest is soooo inviting it is almost torture to read. Temps here in the single digits and expecting a blizzard Wed.

Great photos,esp all the delicious blues.

You'll have to teach us to make those drinks!